Jim’s Chicago Hot Dog Pizza
- 1 recipe pizza dough or one package frozen
- 3-4 tablespoons deli mustard
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 Kosher hot dogs, steamed and diced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ⅓-½ cup relish
- 6 sport peppers, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 14 inches, then let it rest a few minutes.
- Spread the mustard around the dough as you would pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle as many poppy seeds as desired.
- Spread the chopped hot dogs, chopped onion, relish, and chopped tomatoes evenly around the pizza.
- Sprinkle the celery salt lightly over all.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, but check after 10 minutes as there isn’t any cheese.
Makes: 1 14-inch pizza • Total Time: 45 minutes
About the Chef
Name of Chef: James LaJeunesse
Community of residence: Poway
Hobbies & Interests: Cooking, gardening, relaxing
Favorite Local Activity: Camping at Carlsbad State Beach
About the Recipe: After moving from Chicago I knew I would miss two food things: Chicago pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs. I worked on the pizza for many years and am now teaching my grandkids, and then one pizza-making evening I got the idea to create the “Chicago Hot Dog Pizza.” I can’t tell you the looks I got from everyone in my house at that time, but when they tried it, well, what can I say?
About the Chef: I operate a warehouse locally here in Poway and have lived here for 31 years. I’ve been married to my lovely wife for 41 years and have a daughter, a son, and two completely enjoyable grandkids.