Kate’s Chicken Soup
- 1 cups green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1½ quarts chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large stock pan, heat olive oil. Add green onions and jalapeño, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Stir in lime juice and add garlic. Simmer on low heat, be careful not to burn garlic.
- Next add the tomato and cumin. Continue to simmer and stir until diced tomato is soft.
- Add chicken broth and shredded chicken. Cook until heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with avocado, cilantro, and sliced lime.
- Other pairings: serve over mashed potatoes or with rice.
Total Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4 servings
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Kate Stanley
Family: Husband Ryan, a principal in the nearby Del Mar Union School District, and children Cole (10) and Payton (7)
Community: The Portals
Interests: Cooking, knitting, personal home styling
Favorite Local Activity: Orangetheory Fitness Poway
About the Recipe: This soup is light yet hearty! It’s perfect for the whole family, and it is dairy and gluten-free.
About the Chef: I keep busy as a mother of two and as a teacher at nearby Design39Campus in the Poway Unified School District. When not in the classroom, I’m creating handmade designs for my business, www.fromthemakerie.com. My family has also recently doubled with the addition of four chickens to our coop out back.
GET PUBLISHED! Submit a recipe at www.92064magazine.com