Pam’s Lemon Blackberry Pudding Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups blackberries
- Cooking spray
- ¾ teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine the flour, ⅔ cup granulated sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl; add the buttermilk, lemon rind, lemon juice, butter, and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir ¼ of the egg white mixture into the buttermilk mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Fold in blackberries.
- Pour the batter into an 8 by 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Place in a larger baking pan; add hot water to larger pan to depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Makes: 5 servings | Total Time: 50 minutes
Name of Chef: Pam Bundy
Family Members: Husband – Bill; Sons – Andrew, David, and Chad
Community: Bridlewood Lakeside
Hobbies: Pilates, hiking, being with friends
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking Lake Poway
About the Recipe: I believe in keeping food as close to nature as possible. But denying yourself a treat will only make you want one more and you may end up overindulging. Here is decadent tasting dessert with about 280 calories per serving.
About the Chef: We were lucky to find Poway 15 years ago and shortly thereafter I started my personal training business. While I do work with the general population, I specialize in clients diagnosed with Parkinson’s and cancer and those with back pain. As I age, getting certified in the Stott method of Pilates has also become a big focus.