Julie’s Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 Pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 Cups chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Cups fresh spinach (or kale), chopped
- 2 Cups cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 Cup fresh basil, shredded Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage in large pot. Crumble and drain excess liquid.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook until onion softens.
- Add chopped garlic and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and spinach (or kale).
- Add cheese tortellini and cook until tortellini is tender.
- Stir in fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
*Serve with fresh garlic bread or a grilled panini.[box title=”About the Chef” color=”#70a45b”]
Name of Chef: Julie Flatt
Family Members: Husband – Brent; Son – Nolan (14); Daughter – Tatum (11)
Community of Residence: Poway
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, baking, hiking, traveling, waterskiing
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking with friends or family at Lake Poway to summer concerts with a picnic
About the Recipe: When the weather cools off for fall, I can’t wait to start making soup. Italian food is a mainstay in my family’s house. It is what I grew up eating and loving to learn how to cook from my mom, aunts and Nonnie. A cooking class in Tuscany furthered my appreciation of Italian food. My family and friends love this soup. It is great to serve to guests, cook for a friend in need or just throw together on our busy soccer practice nights.
About the Chef: We moved to Poway 17 years ago and it has been a wonderful place to raise a family. My cousin convinced us Poway was the place to be in San Diego, especially for the excellent schools. We are so glad we listened to him. Our kids continue to thrive in the Poway schools and enjoy many sport teams and activities year round. I work part-time as a dental hygienist and see many friends from the community at the office. We love to travel, experience new adventures and eat amazing food all over the world. We are barely home from one trip and the next one is being planned.