A Timely Checklist for Keeping your Household Ticking this Fall
We all remember (most of the time, anyway) to set our clocks back at the close of daylight savings. This year, we’ll fall back on the evening of November 3, and many of us will use the event as a reminder for important household maintenance items, like changing the batteries in our smoke detectors. Here, a list of other recommended updates you might want to consider adding to that list.
- Perfect Timing: As you change the clocks, make it a habit to change the timer on your home thermostat, as well as your television sets, digital recorders, sprinkler system, outdoor lighting, and other items on a timer.
- Recharged: Check to make sure you have fresh batteries in everything you’d need in an emergency, including smoke detectors, flashlights, and radios.
- Refreshed: Fall is a great time to change your home’s air filters, as you’ll be spending more time indoors throughout the winter. While you’re at it, replace fridge filters, furnace filters, the filter on the hood of your kitchen range, and check dryer vents.
- Up-to-date: As you head into cold and flu season, it’s wise to clear out medicine cabinets and check the expiration dates of the medicines you keep. Expired? Dispose of them safely by following the FDA guidelines or bring them to oneof the next San Diego County Sheriff Department’s Prescription Drug Take-Back programs.
- Fired Up: It’s a good idea to inspect and clean your fireplace and chimney and check duct work.
- Out Back: Aerating your lawn can keep it looking healthier and experts recommend doing so once a year. Use this time to check sprinkler heads and irrigation lines as well.
- Inventoried: If you didn’t do it last year, make this the year you videotape your home to catalog your possessions and make a clear inventory of items you would claim in the event of loss or damage.
- Defrosted: That extra hour of sleep might give you the energy to clean out your freezer and defrost it, if necessary, and even clean that oven.
Now that your house is in order, you can rest easy and wake refreshed to the morning that will greet you a little earlier tomorrow.